}

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Review: Six Brothers by Lili St. Germain


Title: Six Brothers
Author: Lili St. Germain
Series: Gypsy Brothers, Book 1.2
Genre: DARK Contemporary Romance (??)
Release Date: 16 February 2014

I have lied.

I have cheated.

I have given my body and my life to the man who destroyed my family and left me for dead.

I have killed, I have sinned, and worst of all, I have enjoyed the misery of others.

I have licked the salty tears of a father mourning his firstborn son, and nothing has ever tasted so sweet.

I have died, and I have been resurrected, a phoenix from the ashes.

I know I’m going to hell. I’ll burn in the fiery pits alongside Dornan and his sons for the things I’ve done, and for the things I’m about to do.

But I don’t care. It will be worth every lick of the devils flames on my guilty flesh to destroy Dornan Ross.

One down, six to go.

I didn't think it was going to be a good idea for me to continue this series, but I just couldn't stop without seeing if the author was going to do something spectacular.

Which did *NOT* end up happening for me.

Pretty much everything I had an issue with in the first part (my review) is still here in this one. Only exponentially worse.

**!!SPOILER AND TRIGGER WARNING!!**



We start out with the funeral of the brother she killed in the last book. And we gets lots of flashbacks, except they feel tacked on. One of them explicitly contradicts the information we were given in the first part of the story. I hate when books don't maintain their integrity.

Julz/Sammi - I had some respect for her in the first book. She's a sociopath, no doubt about it, but she's committed. And I understood her goals. I even agreed with her reasoning about trying to see them to fruition. I got it. But she's so far gone that I can't root for her. She has no regard for innocent lives. At all. And I can't get behind a character like that. Not to mention, she's stupid. And Jase is stupid, too, so maybe they deserve each other.

Elliott - the guy that saved Julz in the first place - a cop (at the time), now a tattoo artist (nice bridge there), is just a few years older than Julz. Eventually they had a relationship. When she kept trying to kill herself and was destroying him piece by piece, he left. Then she has the nerve to be pissed at him for not wanting to be destroyed by her sociopathic ways. She doesn't care about him, except as a friend, and she starts to act wounded that he left. Fuck you, Sammi. Fuck you.

Jase - a genuinely nice guy, except for the illegal (very bad) shit that he doesn't even bat an eyelash at anymore. He's got an instant attraction to Sammi/Julz, but hates her (for what she is to his father) at the same time. Ugh. I can't take the drama.

Then there's the torture sex with her rapist that Sammi takes part in. In one scene - serious spoiler here: He makes he come with oral sex and a switchblade against her - threatening her with fucking her with it - and THEN HE STABS THE BLADE TO THE HILT IN HER FUCKING THIGH!! What the actual fuck?!

It's all good though. She PULLS THE BLADE OUT AND CUTS HER BINDINGS so she doesn't fucking BLEED OUT. Then Jase comes in and is going to take care of it with a FIRST-AID kit. *sigh*

To be fair, he does try to take her to a hospital, but I don't feel like being very fair as he doesn't fight too hard.

While wounded, and he's trying to stitch her up, he gives her "nearly pure" heroin. To dull the pain. You're a fucking genius.

Then we get to some more drama between Jase and Sammi/Julz.

And finally some more of her revenge...Again - serious spoiler: She kills a brother with some poisoned cocaine, after drugging some girls that were his birthday present (so they won't remember a thing). THEN SHE FUCKING FRAMES THEM FOR GIVING HIM THE POISONED COKE!!!!

Are you fucking kidding me?

And to further slide suspicion from herself, she takes some of the poisoned cocaine herself. Nearly dying because of it. Then she wakes up in the hospital.

Does she stay there to get better? Nope. Not our intelligent heroine. She walks out. In her hospital gown. Ass open in the breeze.

And there ends this part. I think I'll read about the rest through Kat's reviews.
Five Miles
Four Score
Three Years
Two Roads
One Love

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails