}

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Best of 2015

2015 was a year of change for me. I became engaged in November 2014, moved across country in February 2015, worked remotely for several months, and have recently changed jobs, bought a house, and planned my wedding. I didn't get as much reading done as normal, and because of that re-reads took up a greater portion of my total reading this year, but I enjoyed - thoroughly - my year in books.

BOOKS


It bothers me, a little, that the list doesn't have even numbers, but it can't be helped. These all deserve to be on the list (no matter if it's 'best of' or 'worst of' or even the 'bonus books' list which I couldn't resist adding).

Here are the book stats: (Through 22 December 2015)
67 Read Books
28 Re-Read Books
39 New-to-Me Books

Of those 39 New-to-Me Books, there were:
7 Five-Star Reads
7 Four-Star Reads
7 Three-Star Reads
4 Two-Star Reads
14 One-Star Reads (10 of which were DNFs)



In no particular order:


Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels, Book 8) by Ilona Andrews

It's Ilona Andrews. And we're building towards the big finale. I'm in love.

Full review here


Magic Stars (Kate Daniels, Book 8.5; Grey Wolf, Book 1) by Ilona Andrews

C'mon! Derek? AND Julie? I ship this ship so hard. But, even better, Derek's unique. His voice and character are fascinating, and I hope that there's a LOT more to come from the Grey Wolf.

Full review here


Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, Book 2) by Ilona Andrews

Noticing a trend at all? I love Ilona Andrews. They never let me down. And three amazing (new) reads this year was absolutely delightful.

Full review here


The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, Book 1) by Robert Jordan

I can't even. I don't know what to say. This series is freaking amazing! I can't believe it took me so long to start it. I'm savoring every moment of this first read through.

Full review here


The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, Book 2) by Robert Jordan

And it just gets better!

Full review here


Golden Son (Red Rising, Book 2) by Pierce Brown

Seriously, is it time for the next book yet?

Full review here


Providence of Fire (Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne, Book 2) by Brian Staveley

A year later and I still can't come up with words to describe my love. Here's a one-line quote from my review: "Brian Staveley weaves beauty with his words, ensnaring the senses and filling the surrounding air with the world he's created."

Full review here

Bonus Books


Uprooted by Naomi Novik

A fairy-tale, fantasy that absolutely enamoured me.

Full review here


Shards of Hope (Psy/Changeling, Book 14) by Nalini Singh

Nalini Singh continues to be one of my favorite go-to authors. Consistent world-building, and strong characters always make for a very satisfying read.

Full review here


Archangel's Enigma (Guild Hunter, Book 8) by Nalini Singh

Just as in the Psy/Changeling world, Nalini Singh continues to ratchet up the tension and the overall arc just gets more and more suspenseful. I can't wait to see what's coming next.

Full review here


Firewalker (Worldwalker, Book 2) by Josephine Angelini

Highly anticipated second book in a (planned) trilogy. Though it had a bit of a slow start, and a couple of rough moments, I'm absolutely dying for the final book in the trilogy now!

Full review here


Radiance (Wraith Kings, Book 1) by Grace Draven

An amazing love-story. I wanted a bit more world-building - which showed up at the end, and has made me salivate for book 2.

Full review here


Girl From Above: Betrayal (1000 Revolution, Book 1) and Girl from Above: Escape (1000 Revolution, Book 2) by Pippa DaCosta

I'm including two "books" here as they're really part of the same story. I devoured these first two entries. And though I had a couple of minor problems with them, they are really, really excellent books. Anti-heroes (seriously, ANTI-heroes) fill these pages, and I'm riveted by Pippa DaCosta's weaving of this story.

Full reviews here: Book 1 and Book 2

A pretty damn good year. I'm happy with the new books that I've found, and the new authors that I can explore. 2016 is shaping up to be the Year of The Wheel of Time Series Read, because I fully expect that to rule my life next year (as it's already started doing this year).

What were your favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails