}

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday: The Iron Duke



Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine which spotlights eagerly anticipated upcoming releases!

The first Meljean Brook story I read was "Here There Be Monsters" in the Burning Up anthology. And I immediately fell in love with the world. Meljean describes it as "The Pirates of the Caribbean meets The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" when she first pitched the idea to her editor, long before there was any steampunk in the romance genre. It's a steampunk series, which is essentially "historical science fiction".

This is my first foray into steampunk romance, though I read a lot of alternate history, fantasy and science fiction books, so I'm eagerly awaiting the release next week!





Title: The Iron Duke
Author: Meljean Brook
Series: The Iron Seas 1
Genre: Steampunk Romance
Publisher: Berkley Trade
Release Date: 05 October 2010


Book Description (from author's website):

After the Iron Duke freed England from Horde control, he instantly became a national hero. Now Rhys Trahaearn has built a merchant empire on the power — and fear — of his name. And when a dead body is dropped from an airship onto his doorstep, bringing Detective Inspector Mina Wentworth into his dangerous world, he intends to make her his next possession.

Mina can’t afford his interest, however. Horde blood runs through her veins, and despite the nanotech enhancing her body, she barely scratches out a living in London society. Becoming Rhys’s lover would destroy both her career and her family, yet the investigation prevents her from avoiding him…and the Iron Duke’s ruthless pursuit makes him difficult to resist.

But when Mina uncovers the victim’s identity, she stumbles upon a conspiracy that threatens the lives of everyone in England. To save them, Mina and Rhys must race across zombie-infested wastelands and treacherous oceans — and Mina discovers the danger is not only to her countrymen as she finds herself tempted to give up everything to the Iron Duke.

9 comments:

Jackie said...

Another new one for me, thanks Angela for the heads up on the book and hope when it releases you get it and enjoy the read!


My WOW

jackie ^_^

Heather said...

I really need to read these... a) the covers are awesome, b) I love the titles and c) I love the plots XD Time for me to stop slackin!


Check my pick out HERE

Jill said...

Does it make me old that I've never heard of steampunk romance...how out of the loop am I?? :)

Nice pick...and thanks for participating in WoW!

Belinda said...

Yum! I already have this book on my TBR list but thanks for the great eye candy this morning. Can't wait to read it :)

Here's my WOW for the week

Tara said...

Ooh, this one looks really good! I haven't heard much about this, but I'll be looking into it! Thanks for sharing :) I'm a new follower

Here's what I'm waiting for this week :)

Jenny said...

This one sounds SO good, I read an early review of it as well and now I'm dying to read it. Great pick this week!

Straylights said...

Sweet! Another series for me to read and wait painfully for the next ones to come out! I love torture ;)


Come check out my WoW :)

Nicole Sheldon said...

I absolutely, can not wait for the Iron Duke. I raved about the novella in the Burning Up anthology. I was just so immediately impressed by Meljean Brook. Hopefully I can get my hands on it at her next signing.

Angela said...

@jackie - Thanks for stopping by!

@Heather - You should seriously give them a try, the short in Burning Up practically made me salivate for this book!

@Jill - I'll be honest, I'd never heard of steampunk romance until a few months ago when one of my friends was talking about some she was reading.

@Belinda - You're most welcome ;)

@Tara - Thanks for stopping by and following!

@Jenny - I've been seeing ratings and reviews on this for a few weeks now, and it's just making the wait even harder!

@Straylights - LOL! Yes! More book crack. Can we ever have enough? :P

@Nicole - oh absolutely. One of the few series that we started reading together ;) And I'm totally jealous of you going to her signing. lol

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails