}

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Review: Rocking Her Curves by Aubrey Rose


Title: Rocking Her Curves
Author: Aubrey Rose
Series: Asher and Trixie, Book 1
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Release Date: 23 August 2013

What’s your temptation?

Asher just broke up with his long-distance girlfriend. When he meets Trixie, he's smitten by her curves – but she's the lead singer for the opening band: strictly off-limits.

Trixie can't help but be attracted to the tall, handsome skater who plays music with such passion. There's no way that he would be interested in someone who isn't a rail-thin model, would he? Anyway, she's heard that he has a girlfriend: strictly off-limits.

When their paths collide – literally – they're forced to look temptation in the face and ask themselves: What do I really want?

Rocking Her Curves is an incredibly quick, easy read. At just 59 page it doesn't long to fly through it. Aubrey Rose's writing is simple and easy to read, comfortable to fall into, and lets you get to know the characters.

And I did like the characters. Trixie is lead singer in her band, that's what initially drew me to request this book. I wanted to read about a female rock star. She's incredibly talented and seems determined to succeed. She's also a curvy woman, a woman with 'padding' as it's said in the story, and she likes it that way. She's comfortable with her body and I really thought that was great - especially when it didn't come at the expense of other body types; though there was the one moment where she was calling Asher's type "Barbie" that rubbed me the wrong way. I'm still not sure how to reconcile it.

Asher was this interesting combination of shy and awkward and strong and dominating all at the same time. His fumbling attempts at flirting with Trixie, his interest (and hers) in skateboarding, the way that he just stated the truth like there was nothing else to say. It really endeared me to him.

I was going to give this some slack for being part of a series, but from all I can tell it's not actually going to be a series that deals with Asher and Trixie - but with other people in the band/s. I knew going into it that it was a short story, I knew not to expect too terribly much, but I can't help but being disappointed. The characters were so interesting, and great (for the most part) that I wanted more.

Unfortunately we spend about 80% of the book with Trixie nearly hating Asher - thinking he's hitting on her while he has a girlfriend - and Asher trying to figure out how to get her to talk to him. We have two disappointing, almost painfully so, sex scenes with the main characters and other people; in a story this short they just take up space that could have been devoted elsewhere. I didn't need a play by play.

Then there are all these obstacles in Trixie's life that come up, and suddenly they're just brushed aside for her to say 'Yes' to Asher. One sex scene later and we're at a happily-for-now ending. I say 'for-now' because Trixie's life is kind of up in the air right now, and Asher's leaving to tour Europe in little over a week. The ending left me feeling kind of let down, like there was still too much unresolved. I still don't even really know what's going on with Trixie that everything went crazy with her schedule towards the end.

Rocking Her Curves has some interesting characters and I'm definitely going to be reading more by Ms. Rose, but ultimately it left me wanting more - and not in a good way.

Grade: C

Amazon | BN | kobo | Sony | Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails