}

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Review: Magic Mourns by Ilona Andrews


Title: Magic Mourns
Author: Ilona Andrews
Series: Kate Daniels, Book 3.5
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Release Date: 1 September 2009
Source: Bought

Andrea Nash of the Order of Knights of Merciful Aid - with an assist from her friend, Kate Daniels - tries to figure out why the giant three-headed dog who guards the gates of Hades is sniffing around Atlanta.

* Originally published in the anthology, Must Love Hellhounds *

Well, damn.

How many of these did I skip reviewing last time?

Okay, here goes. This is just a novella - about Andrea and Raphael. And after the intense flirting (and thing) that happened in Magic Strikes between them, it's about damn time!

I always liked Andrea. She's strong, competent, level-headed, and willing to fight for what she believes. She sticks to her promises, and her ground - no matter what. And I can trust her. I know for a fact she will never, ever betray Kate. What I learned in this book is that she's also scarred, and scared. She needs Raphael just as much as he needs her.

Raphael's been chasing Andrea, with no encouragement, for six months. It's more than obvious that he's smitten with her, and it's more than just - in Andrea's words: TWT-IHFB (That Weird Thing I Haven't Fucked Before). Personally, I don't find Raphael sexy, even if Kate, Andrea and the rest of the world does, but I have to admit that I love his personality. He's loyal, committed, a smart-ass, and kicks butt ... in human form quite frequently. Plus he's a smart businessman. What more could a woman want?

When Cerberus shows up, I knew I was going to love this. Greek mythology was one of my first interests in ancient history - and the myth that's central to this story is still one of my favorites. I like how Ilona Andrews weaves in the mythologies of so many different cultures to this series, paying homage and making them their own all at the same time.

Though Andrea and Raphael will never be as interesting to me as Kate and Curran, this is a good novella that gives you more insight to some of these great characters of the Post-Shift world.

Grade: B-

Amazon | BN | kobo | Goodreands

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails