}

Monday, August 4, 2014

Review: Magic Strikes by Ilona Andrews


Title: Magic Strikes
Author: Ilona Andrews
Series: Kate Daniels, Book 3
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Release Date: 31 March 2009

When magic strikes and Atlanta goes to pieces, it’s a job for Kate Daniels...

Drafted into working for the Order of Merciful Aid, mercenary Kate Daniels has more paranormal problems than she knows what to do with these days. And in Atlanta, where magic comes and goes like the tide, that’s saying a lot.

But when Kate's werewolf friend Derek is discovered nearly dead, she must confront her greatest challenge yet. As her investigation leads her to the Midnight Games—an invitation only, no holds barred, ultimate preternatural fighting tournament—she and Curran, the Lord of the Beasts, uncover a dark plot that may forever alter the face of Atlanta's shapeshifting community...

Apparently, I've never written a review of this book - though I've read it at least a couple dozen times. In fact, I distinctly remember the last re-read I did I had plans to review ALL the books in the series.

Then I hit this book, with its humor that keeps me laughing all the damn time, and the suspense that keeps me on the edge of my seat, biting my nails. And that ending! Good lord. *fans self* How could I be expected to write a review??

But I'm going to try. I don't want to spoil anything so I'm pretty much going to devolve into fangirl squealing from here on out. Fair warning.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, this book is absolutely, mind-blowingly ... PERFECT. Every time I read it I can't stop. The humor that's on nearly every page makes me struggle against updating all the time, quoting it all. I laugh and grin like an idiot throughout damn near this entire book. You should see the looks I've gotten from perfect strangers. There are the moments when I'm ready to break into tears though. The struggle and dangers are very real in this world, and sometimes not everyone makes it.

By now, I've come to love not only Kate and Curran, but everyone else in this messed up Post-Shift Atlanta. Derek, Julie, Jim, Raphael, Andrea and even Saiman. Then there's the new characters we meet, some that made me laugh, and one that made me freeze up in fear. I still get shivers when I read his entrance and introduction to Kate. The point is that I'm totally invested in these people, I feel like I'm fighting right there alongside them, struggling to survive - and more, fighting to live.

The plot in Magic Strikes is one of the most interesting, tightly written, and beautifully executed I've seen. Every single thing has significance - you may not realize it at the time, but it's there. Each moment leading to a shattering conclusion where my heart's in my throat and I cheer when it's all over.

I've thought about including some of my favorite quotes, but we'd be here all day.

You know those things where people want you to name five desert-island-keepers? You know, the five books that you'd take with you to read and re-read with no other books available? I can never pick. Asking me to pick favorite books - narrowing them down - is so hard it's painful to me. But I can easily say that Magic Strikes would be one of them.

Grade: A+

Amazon | BN | kobo | Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails