}

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Review: Master of the Abyss by Cherise Sinclair



Title: Master of the Abyss
Author: Cherise Sinclair
Series: Mountain Masters, Book 2
Genre: BDSM Erotic Romance
Release Date: October 26, 2010


When Jake Hunt uncollared his slave, she committed suicide. Guilt has been a constant companion for him in the two years since and he now only allows himself to commit to a woman for one night. The rest of his time is spent devoted to the mountain lodge that he runs with his brother.

Kallie Masterson had a hard childhood, growing up passed around from family to family, feeling unwanted and unloved. After she finally settled in this small mountain town Kallie worked hard to become a wilderness guide, and is the best at what she does. While proud of her accomplishments, and content with her unfeminine apparel, she’s disappointed that Jake never looks twice at her.

Kallie’s abruptly thrown in Jake’s path when he rescues her from a bar brawl, and then guide business brings her to his lodge. The lodge that caters to an alternate crowd. To be sure she can handle their clientele’s lifestyles Jake invites her to a BDSM night, where he’s shocked to discover a warm, responsive and submissive woman under her ugly clothes.

Fully warned with his standard ‘one night only’ speech, Kallie knows that she can’t get connected, but when one night turns into two, and then more, how long can she hold onto her heart?

The first time I read Cherise Sinclair it was her Club Shadowlands book, first in the Masters of the Shadowlands series, and I loved it so much I quickly glommed up the rest of her backlist (all of which I’d highly recommend). Soon, I’d finished it all, ending with Master of the Mountain, the story of Jake’s brother, Logan. Then I was stuck waiting for Jake’s story, which I was very much anticipating.

I loved delving further into Jake’s history, and the guilt, and feelings that he has over his ex-girlfriend’s death. It’s such an important part of him, and the story, and I thought it was really well handled.

Kallie, though she and others often call her macho, it’s not something I particularly understood. She was a strong female, physically as well as determined to make her own way in the world. But she had a few key vulnerabilities about abandonment, which were very well justified.

I thought that Kallie and Jake were well matched, and watching them work closer to each other was a true joy.

I don’t want to give too much away, but there is a suspense storyline in here too, that definitely plays into the story really well.

I did have a slight moment of disbelief at the end at how well everything was tied up and resolved, but overall it didn’t detract from my enjoyment of the book.

Ms. Sinclair does some of the best BDSM books I’ve read, and I look forward to what comes next from her!

Grade: B-

Book Link | Kindle | Sony | Loose Id

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails