}

Sunday, February 22, 2009

81st Annual Academy Awards

Angela: And they're starting!!

Check out the Red Carpet Post between Kat & I here.

Welcome to Hollywood's Biggest Night!!!

Oh! Hugh Jackman!! He looks great tonight.

LOL - Robert (Downey Jr.) is an American, playing an Australian, playing a black man. Where as me, I'm an Australian, playing an Australian, in a movie called Australia.


Kat: Jackman can do no wrong.

Hathaway's dress for the number was far better than the one she was wearing before.

Lucky Langella.

Jackman appears to be reaching out and petting the audience.

Again I say - WTF is Tilda Swinton wearing??????????

5 former winners standing in a half circle. I feel like it's a cult.

Angelica Huston is gorgeous.

Oh Whoopi. I love you. I have an irrepressible urge to watch Sister Act.

Cruz wins it. I was hoping for Viola Davis.

Angela: Congratulations Penelope! That opening song with Jackman was fantastic. I'm looking for a video of it to share here ;)

Aww. She thinks she's gonna faint. I have to say I love the emotional acceptance speeches the best.


Kat: Steve Martin and Tina Fey. My night is complete.

Angela: This is hilarious!
Tina: It has been said that to write is to live forever.
Steve: The man who wrote that is dead.
LOL

In Bruges! I really enjoyed this movie.


Kat: Screenplay - Milk wins it.

*sigh* I wanted In Bruges to win it.

Angela: I wanted In Bruges to win as well *sigh* I have to admit that I haven't seen Milk though...


Kat: Okay, Milk screenwriter got me with his excellent speech.

I love Steve Martin.

Ooh, adapted screenplay. I want Frost/Nixon to win.

Slumdog won. I'm 0/3.

Angela: I'm not surprised about Slumdog Millionaire's win for Best Adapted Screenplay. The buzz about this movie has just been huge.

I'm there with you at 0/3 Kat ;)

I just love Jack Black. He makes me laugh. With Jennifer Aniston.


Kat: Aniston's dress looks similar to Hathaway's. And Aniston pulls it off better.

Wall-E!!!!!

Angela: It is slightly similar. And she does definitely pull it off better. But she looks comfortable in it, which I think accounts for a lot of it.

And no, I still haven't seen Wall-E. What? Don't look at me like that Kat.


Kat: Best animated short - I'm hoping for Presto. It was even better than Wall-E. I'm going to ignore you not having seen this, Angela.

*GASP*

Presto lost? What cr**

Angela: LOL. I'm sure we'll do a movie night with Wall-E at some point.


Kat: What odd sets they've got tonight.

Art Direction has some truly fabulous noms this year. I'm partial to The Duchess.

Benjamin Button won - yay Brad shot :)

Angela: Those are some great nominations this year! I think I would have been happy with any of them winning.

Good nominations for Costume Design as well. I always love some good costumes. I have to say The Duchess had some great ones.

And the winner is: The Duchess!!


Kat: The Duchess HAD to win. The costume design was flawless. If you look at the paintings of her and compare them to the movie, it's nearly exact (as in they changed the color). Beautiful, beautiful work.

Makeup - what? No Twilight?

Benjamin Button won :)

Angela: Ugh. Twilight makeup was awful. And here's Robert Pattinson. Maybe the smoldering is a natural look for him.

I'm glad Benjamin Button won for makeup.

Ooh. Romance in 2008 montage.


Kat: RP is trying to smolder on stage.

It isn't working.

Romance 2008 - yay montage.

I really want to see Last Chance Harvey.

Okay, stop with the excessive Twilight shots. Everything else was fab :)

Angela: Well, hell. Robert Pattinson didn't do smoldering very well in the movie either. *sigh*

That montage was fabulous. There's actually quite a few movies in there I want to see.

I think they're trying to tell me I need to see Wall-E Kat. It ended with a scene from that movie. LOL



Kat: Natalie Portman looks gorgeous *still crushing*

Ben Stiller's Joaquin Phoenix gag, lmao.

"You look like you work at a Hasidic meth lab." *giggle*

This might be the best presentation of the night.

Another win for Slumdog. I hope this movie lives up to all the hype when I see it.

Angela: Finally! Got to see Natalie's dress live. It's gorgeous. She pulls off that color beautifully. In a way I never could.

I'm worried that Slumdog won't live up to all this hype, for me. I hope it does though.

Angela: I have to say that I was not impressed with the skit with James Franco and Seth Rogan. :|


Kat: Maybe if it hadn't come soon after the hilarious Stiller-Portman skit, it would have been funnier.

I now have a moral dilemma. I don't want to see Pineapple Express, but James Franco is so cute....

Angela: Okay. I admit that I do want to see Pineapple Express. I've heard that it's good. But my eagerness was slightly dimmed by that skit.


Kat: Opposite effect for me. I normally hate stupid comedies, but my susceptibility to cute boys is high.

Ooh, an ad for Castle. I want to see this show.

Sweet - musical number.

Beyonce's outfit now looks better than the one she came in. Why is does she perform every year? There are other singers, which is nothing against her. Just like a little variety.

OMG, what did they put VH and AS in?

That musical number didn't flow as well as it should have.

Angela: Yeah, I liked Beyonce's outfit in that musical number. It was pretty good, but not as good as the one at the beginning.

Again with the 5 previous winners. Christopher Walken is fabulous. But his tie is skewed.

Again. PSH. Why are you wearing the skull cap? It's not flattering.

*sigh* RDJ. He was great in Tropic Thunder. And I still watch Iron Man repeatedly.

Heath Ledger should definitely win this. His performance in The Dark Knight was absolutely breath-taking.

Best Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger. Yay!


Kat: Bittersweet moment. His performance more than deserved the award. Everyone looks like they're about to cry. Lovely speeches by his family.

Angela: I'm just so glad he won.

I finally found a video of the opening with Hugh Jackman!!




Okay. This isn't exactly Oscars related. But I have to say. I'm not a fan of Tom Cruise, but that commercial with him and Jimmy Kimmel for Jimmy's show was hilarious!! LOL.


Oh. You gotta love good car chase scenes. Great montage here too of action scenes.


Visual Effects: Benjamin Button wins.

Sound Effects: The Dark Knight.

I actually just wanted to say that I love Will Smith's lapel pin. ;)


Kat: Will Smith is never leaving the stage.

That's okay. I like looking at him.

Angela: Alright! I found the 2008 Romance Montage.




I truly enjoyed it.

And a great presentation: Ben Stiller and Natalie Portman



Here it is Kat ;)



Kat: Thanks Angela :)

Is it bad I got bored, put it on mute during the musical section, and am now listening to Cool Rider on my iPod?

Angela: Well, if that's bad, then I guess I am too. I'm not really paying attention here....


Kat: Are you listening to songs from Grease 2? Because, really, I win with that. LMAO.

Another win for Slumdog *yawn*

The bright colors have shocked me back awake.

+1 to Slumdog for that.

Angela: Okay. You win LOL.

The bright colors and the beats actually woke me back up. Good job.

Okay. Alicia Keys looks fabulous. Love her hair and earrings. The dress looks good on her too.

Best Original Song: Slumdog Millionaire again....

Queen Latifah looks fabulous in that color blue.


Kat: Yes she does.

*sigh*

Paul Newman.

He was wonderful :(


Kat: Reese Witherspoon's makeup makes her look old.

I also wish they'd taken the black cr** off the dress, esp at the top.

Angela: Reese is so beautiful. But I agree the makeup wasn't fantastic there...


Kat: Marion Cotillard is unbelievably gorgeous and Halle Berry is just stunning. HB definitely another fashion favorite for the night.

OMG. Sophia Loren looks awful. The hair, the dress.......oy.

I think a bird crash landed on Nicole Kidman's dress.

Kate Winslet won. I adore her, but I'd be more excited if I hadn't been sure she'd win.

Side note: I now love Kate Winslet's dad. LMAO.

Angela: Yay! Kate!! Congratulations!!!

"I think we all can't believe we were in a category with Meryl Streep at all" *g* I love her. I'm so glad she won.

And her dad whistling when she asked for him to so she knew where he was. That was fantastic. LOL


Kat: "He has no genitalia and he's holding a sword." - Dustin Hoffman - LOL

Yay - Brad Pitt is on screen :)

Sean Penn wins it.

I guess I really have to see Milk.

Angela: LOL at Dustin Hoffman. *still chuckling*

Apparently Milk and Slumdog Millionaire are movies to see this year....


Kat: Kim Basinger looks lovely.

I’m not generally a fan of Sean Penn, but his speech is funny, honest, and sincere.

What signs of hatred were out there tonight?

Angela: I missed the signs of hatred, but I'm curious enough to search for it now.

His speech was great.


Kat: I like how they splice bits of previously nominated films in with this year's nominees.

Who wants to bet Slumdog wins?

Yep, it won.

*sigh* I was just more entertained by the categories where I couldn't predict the winner.

Angela: Totally unsurprised by the Slumdog Millionaire win. *sigh*

I agree Kat. The categories that I couldn't predict were the best ones to watch.

I have to admit that I'm a little biased against Slumdog Millionaire now.


Kat - this was a great time! Thanks for doing this with me :)



Kat: I'm a bit biased as well. But I do want to see Milk now.

Thanks for having me Angela :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails