}

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Waiting for Payday 1


Waiting for Payday is a **NEW** weekly event hosted at The Bookish Snob which spotlights books that may have been out for a while that you're anxious to get your hands on, but that empty wallet is already crying, so Waiting for Payday it is! Head on over to TheBookishSnob and link up!


Heart of Stone (Negotiator Trilogy 1) by C.E. Murphy
Blurb:
Okay, so jogging through Central Park after midnight wasn't a bright idea. But Margrit Knight never thought she'd encounter a dark new world filled with magical beings -- not to mention a dying woman and a mysterious stranger with blood on his hands. Her logical, lawyer instincts told her it couldn't all be real -- but she could hardly deny what she'd seen . . . and touched.

The mystery man, Alban, was a gargoyle. One of the fabled Old Races who had hidden their existence for centuries. Now he was a murder suspect, and he needed Margrit's help to take the heat off him and find the real killer.

As they worked together to figure out who was framing Alban, Margrit discovered that this man with a heart -- and body -- of stone made her feel more alive than ever, And as the dead pile up, it's a race against the sunrise to clear Alban's name and keep them both alive . . .

Gargoyles. I was sold right there at that word. I'm always looking for something new and different in the genres I read, and you certainly don't read too much about gargoyles!


Stormwalker (Stormwalker 1) by Allyson James
Blurb:
Half-Navajo Janet Begay comes to Magellan to investigate the mysterious disappearance of the police chief's daughter. But the people of Magellan sense that Janet is not what she seems, and they're right.

Janet possesses extraordinary power which is tied to the storms that waft across the desert. The only person who can control her when she's caught in the storm's evocative power is Mick, a dark-haired, blue-eyed biker Janet can't seem to touch with her powers. He can wield fire and not get burned, and Janet's never sure where he goes when they're not together.

Together they investigate mysterious disappearances, which Janet fears are tied to her mother's people, the mythical gods from below the earth. They are helped along the way by Coyote and Crow, but these shapeshifting gods have their own agendas.

This has been on my list for a while, but I have to admit that it didn't move up the list until a friend of mine just rated it very highly. So now here it is. I'm ready to buy!




I think that's enough for this week! Though my To-Be-Bought list is quite long actually. How about you? What are you anxiously awaiting payday to buy?



Some other things I thought were interesting today. At Smart Bitches Trashy Books they had a couple of links.

First is the Page 99 Book Test. So pick up a book you're thinking about reading, and read page 99. That should tell you if you're going to want to read the book, according to this. I tried it on a couple I had to hand, Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh, and Warrior by Zoƫ Archer. It worked for me on both of them, and I'm looking forward to trying it out on some more of my to-be-read books. What's your page 99 result? Does it work for you?

Second is this post that's full of awesome. Sell the Girls by Maureen Johnson. She talks about genre type and gender, and I highly recommend the read.

4 comments:

Nicole Sheldon said...

My waiting for payday would be the Meljean Brook, Guardian series. Even with the discount, ouch!

Belinda said...

These sound like great books. I've heard alot of great things about CE Murphy, I think I even think I have a book of hers on my bookshelf. Hopefully you'll be able to get these books soon.

Thanks so much for coming by and supporting this meme. I'm hoping as more and more people hear about it, it'll take off. :) I know I'll be seeing you with the other memes but just in case we miss each other, see you again next Thursday :)

Jennifer said...

Stormwalker was absolutely great. Interesting characters and great plot.

I have an award for you. You can pick it up here.

http://booknoise411.blogspot.com/2010/09/versatile-blogger-award.html

Congrats!

Lisa_sps said...

Great book! You can check my Wainting for the Payday here ( http://lisafragments.blogspot.com/)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails