}

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Review: Dead Sexy Dragon by Lolita Lopez


Title: Dead Sexy Dragon
Author: Lolita Lopez
Series: Dragon Heat, Book 1
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Release Date: 6 August 2013

The last thing dragon shifter Stig Wyvern needs is his dead friend's kid sister showing up on his doorstep. He's just minutes away from entering a mating phase. Sharing his isolated house with the young woman he's desperately lusted after for quite some time is a recipe for disaster.

But Cora Cardenas has nowhere else to go. She's in deep trouble with some really nasty people and Stig is the only one who can protect her. That he’s deliciously sexy and makes her tingle with the simplest of smiles is just a bonus.

Cora quickly realizes Stig is hiding something from her. To make matters worse, she's plagued with breathtakingly naughty dreams starring a shadowed lover who bears a startling resemblance to her host. And just what the hell is going on down in the basement at night?

Stig needs to get Cora out of his house but his inner beast has other ideas. He’s found his mate and she’s not going anywhere...

I love dragons. I don't know when it started, but I've always been obsessed with them. Sexy dragon shifters seemed like it was right up my alley when I requested this book from NetGalley. While I was really looking forward to Dead Sexy Dragon, I did have some issues that kept me from really enjoying it.

At just 128 pages, Lolita Lopez tries to pack a lot of story into this book - and I think that's where the majority of my problems stem from. There were four obstacles to Stig and Cora getting together, and each one was quickly, and much too easily, dealt with. In just a day and a half they were exchanging "I love you"s. Everything just rocketed along, and I wanted a moment for the characters to come to terms with the momentous changes happening in their lives.

Stig and Cora were both, honestly, pretty flat characters. I can't think of any really defining characteristics about them - other than the normal for a quick, sexy paranormal book. Although, I did really like that the book started with Stig doing to the dishes; it just made me grin and ridiculously happy to show a man doing something so mundane when they hardly ever are shown to do anything of the sort in romance novels. I would have liked more time to get to know them both and maybe understood why they were falling in love so quickly.

The sexual chemistry between Stig and Cora is blazing hot! They light sparks off of each other, in dreams and reality.

Ms. Lopez has created an interesting world here. You have the Dragons and the Knights - locked in a centuries old feud. The feud is apparently never-ending, though the dragons are nearly immortal and the Knights simply human. Stig is part of a group of warriors fighting against the Knights, so it's safe to assume there will be sequels featuring the rest of the dragon warriors. I'd like to understand more about the dragons and their different abilities, some of the changes the Stig experienced, and how this feud manages to stay strong so many years later - through so many human generations.

Dead Sexy Dragon is an easy read that has some great sexy times. I would have liked a bit more depth in the characters and the world, but this is the first book in the series. I'll likely give the next a read and see where the author decides to take this.

Grade: C

Amazon | BN | kobo | Sony | Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails