}

Friday, January 13, 2012

Review: Lothaire by Kresley Cole





Title: Lothaire
Author: Kresley Cole
Series: Immortals After Dark, Book 12
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Release Date: 10 January 2012

From the humblest of beginnings a millennia ago, Lothaire the Enemy of Old rose to power, becoming the most feared and evil vampire in the immortal world. Driven by his past, he will not rest until he captures the vampire Horde’s crown for himself. The discovery of his Bride, the female meant only for him, threatens to derail his plot.

Elizabeth Peirce is a mere mortal, a glaring vulnerability for a male with so many blood foes bent on annihilating anything he desires. Yet soon he discovers his Bride’s secret. A magnificent power dwells inside the fragile human, one that will aid his quest. But to possess that power, he will have to destroy her. Will Lothaire succumb to the torments of his past, or seize a future with her?

I started Lothaire with a huge sense of expectation, and finished it out of breath after being unable to put it down.

Lothaire is great - don't expect too much reformation from him. He's still the same great character that, if you're like me, we've always loved. He's a smart-ass, brilliant, a consummate strategist, and a collector of debts.

His heroine's fantastic. She's totally underestimated, and extremely intelligent and able to see clearly through people and situations. She has a great instinct and she isn't afraid to follow it. I really like her. While the 'hill-billy' drawl (she's from the Appalachian Mountains) was sparingly used, it did get on my nerves having it typed. Of course I prefer to imagine Scottish brogues instead of reading them phonetically.

The sexy times in this book are off the wall hot. I've seen some compare it to dubious consent, and I guess I can see that, but I'd consider it more of a mutual using for personal gains. I think it works, and can appreciate what each hopes to gain, as well as how it moves them closer to their HEA.

But my favorite part was watching Lothaire be totally caught off guard by Ellie. Their verbal sparing and discussions were a true delight. They fit each other.

Some other perpetually favorite characters make appearances, as well as a whole host of new characters. The Dacian that we meet will apparently feature in Ms. Cole's new series - Realm of Blood and Mist - which starts with Shadow's Claim due August 21, 2012.

I enjoyed every moment of reading, though thinking back it doesn't seem like much happens, the story moved along at a good pace. However, I did finish it feeling like there was that indefinable something missing from this book. I still can't lay a finger on what exactly, but there was that little bit that takes a great book to truly amazing - and it wasn't here.

I'm positively on the edge of my seat waiting to see what happens with Nix, and Furie, Kristoff and a whole host of other characters that are soon to be hugely affected by events that occur in Lothaire.

Lothaire's another wonderful entry meaning this continues to be one of the strongest series I read. The world building and time lines continue to be true to themselves, and the characters remain interesting and layered.


Grade: A-

Book Link | Amazon | Kindle | nook | kobo | Sony | Book Depository | Gallery Books

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails